The Online Dating Profile Contest
Today begins a contest we will hold here on this blog. This is a real contest, with independent judges, independent oversight, and I will be awarding real money to the winner.
I have said before that 80% of your success with online dating is the pictures you use in your profile. I still stand by that. However there are many places on the internet where you can get your photos critiqued by the opposite sex, plus there’s been much discussion everywhere about the best pictures to use and not use. What’s been left out of the equation is what to actually write in your profile. I talk about how to write a high response profile in my online dating ebooks, but I think we should add to that knowledge, or at a minimum, see how well guys can put it into real action.
In this contest, male contestants will write the “ultimate” online dating profile “About Me” text. The contestant who writes the one that appeals best to women will win the first place prize.
What’s the prize?
First Place Prize: $300 CASH
That’s right. If you win, I’ll peel off three $100 bills, and they’re yours.
Second place and third place winners will get public recognition on this blog for their seductive writing genius. 🙂
All three winning profiles will be published on this blog in their entirety so we can all learn from them.
This contest is open to any man who can write in English. It’s free to join, no registration or anything like that required. You just write up your profile text and email it in.
Interested? Here’s how it works:
The Online Dating Profile Contest Overview
1. You will write up an “About Me” profile text and send it to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org. Do NOT send photos. Just send your profile text. I’m talking about the text you would put in the top “About Me” section of an online dating profile where you can write whatever you want.
Anything sent to that email address that is not an online dating profile submission, as well as obvious spam or other crap will be deleted before it ever gets to the judges. Same goes for anything that has photos attached.
2. The deadline to get your profile text in is 8pm PST February 10th, 2013. After that date, the contest is over and we will no longer accept any more submissions.
3. Your email address and name (if you include it) will be removed from your submission, then it will be given to our 13 unmarried female judges (pictures of them below). Each judge will answer just one question when evaluating the profiles:
“On a scale from one to ten, how much does this make me want to send this guy a message?”
Judges will rate each submission numerically on a scale from one to ten based on that factor alone – how likely she is to want to actually send you a message based on what you wrote.
4. We will then collate all the answers from all the judges and mathematically choose a winner. Nice and simple. To ensure my impartiality in the process:
A. I will not be judging anything, nor will I be involved in influencing our panel of judges in any way.
B. Fellow blogger Illuminatus of Personal Power Meditation will independently verify all communication, answers, and collation of the judges’ data.
If there is a tie based on the judges’ answers, I will have all judges make a simple yes-or-no vote on the two final profiles to select a winner. (We have an odd number of judges specifically for this reason.)
I might post judges’ individual comments regarding the profiles they read, but that’s up to my discretion. The judges are also free to place comments on this blog post throughout the process, but that’s completely up to them.
5. I will announce the winner right here on this blog on Sunday, February 17th, 2013. I will also announce the second and third place winners. I will publish all three profile texts in their entirety on this blog so we can all learn from them.
6. The first place winner will receive $300. I will pay you in American dollars via either PayPal or by mailing you a money order drawn upon an American bank, your choice. Just remember that any and all transaction charges and/or mailing costs, including international ones, come out of your $300 winnings. (So for example, if you want me to FedEx a money order to some faraway land and it costs $40 to do it, fine with me, but that $40 comes out of your $300, meaning you’ll get $260 for your prize money.)
The Online Dating Profile Contest Rules
If you would like to submit a profile text, it must adhere to the below rules. Any submissions that do not follow ALL of the below rules will be rejected and deleted before a judge ever sees it. Please make sure you understand the below rules before sending in your submissions so I don’t have to waste my time rejecting submissions or answering questions already addressed below. Thanks in advance.
First off, realize that if you end up in the top three spots, the profile text you submit will be publicly posted on this blog in its entirety, so there is no confidentiality promised or implied whatsoever regarding the profile text you submit for this contest. If you would like your identity confidential, that’s fine, just let me know that when you submit your entry.
Secondly, remember your profile text will be judged strictly on the likelihood a woman will message you, which will be a measure of how turned on, excited, interested, or curious she is (or is not) by reading it. No other criteria will be used in selecting the winner.
1. Your profile text must be less than 3000 characters. Most dating sites have character limits so we have to account for that. Before submitting, use a word processor like Microsoft Word to count the number of characters in your text (including spaces!) and make sure it’s under 3000.
2. Your profile text is strictly the part of the profile where you write out the “About Me” section. We are not talking here about all the other stuff you fill out in a profile (like your height or income or answers to quiz questions).
3. Your profile text must be in readable, understandable English.
4. You cannot use any names of any real people in your profile text. You cannot identify yourself by name in your profile text.
5. You cannot make any promises in your profile text that cannot be fulfilled by the typical, middle class American man. For example, if you start talking about how you’re going to pick her up in your private jet, or romance her with a $5000 bottle of wine for your first date, or imply you’re famous, or anything like that, your text will be rejected and deleted.
6. You cannot offer money or gifts to women in your profile text. We’re not here to attract a bunch of gold diggers. (Offering the usual stuff, like dancing, romance, dinner, drinks, etc, is acceptable…if you really think offering that stuff will get women turned on and want to message you, that is.)
9. Do not submit any photos. NO PHOTOS will be included in your profile text and none will be submitted to our judges. Our judges will be judging you based on your profile text alone, that’s it. (That’s the entire point here.)
Our Panel of Judges
My requirements for selecting judges were based on duplicating as best as possible the type of woman most guys would be messaging on a dating site. Therefore the requirements were that they must be female, unmarried, not living with a boyfriend, not overweight, and between the ages of 18 and 40. I also did my best to provide as wide a range of ages as I could. It’s not a perfect scientific sample, nor do I profess it to be, but it should be decent enough.
Here is our panel of judges. They are all real women who are really going to be reading and ranking your submissions. Their pictures are all current and untouched but many of their names have been changed.
If you want to submit a profile, go for it! Email it to email@example.com.
Spread the word about this contest, because the more submissions we get the higher the quality of the winning profiles we can all learn from. You may refer to this link here:
or this shortened one:
Answers To Questions
If you publish the winning profiles, what’s to stop guys all over the internet from using them in their profiles verbatim?
Absolutely nothing. If guys want to be that stupid and use the winning profile texts verbatim, they’re free to do so, and we’re free to laugh at those idiots. The smart guys will read the winning profiles and deduce the elements that make the profiles so effective, and integrate them into their own profiles.
Is this shit for real? You’re really going to pay $300 to someone?
Yep. The things I do for you bastards.
Sounds fun but what’s the main point of all this?
1. To find what attracts women most within the text of an online dating profile, so you can use it to improve your own profile.
2. Publicity. So I can make more money. I’m a capitalist and proud of it.
3. For fun.
Why are almost all the judges white? Why aren’t there more Asian/Latina/black judges?
Here’s the deal. I tried my very best to get a good amount of Asian, Latina, and black judges because I wanted a good racial spread. However none I could find met all the mandatory judges’ criteria and had the time to commit to doing this and weren’t complete unknowns to me. Honestly, I tried. However, remember that none of the judges will be seeing your photos anyway, so race shouldn’t be a huge issue here, just your ability to appeal to women using words alone.
What dating site would the profile be for? Wouldn’t a site like Eharmony be different than a dating site like Plenty of Fish?
This contest is dating-site-neutral, so simply write based on the vibe of the site the women you like would most likely be using.
Is swearing/cussing allowed?
Technically it’s allowed but I wouldn’t go crazy. Some dating sites limit this kind of thing.
How sexual can I be in what I write?
As sexual as you think you could get away with on a typical dating site.
I don’t like your judges. Those aren’t the kind of women I like.
Great. Then don’t submit a profile.
Can I screen women in my profile text? Can I say I’m only interested in women of a certain age group or race or personality type or whatever?
If you want, sure. Just remember that the women judging your profile will be all ages (18 to 40) and personality types.
If these women are all different ages and types, then this would not be an accurate representation of who I would send messages to, because I only send messages to a certain type of woman.
Yeah, that’s great, but here’s the problem. I can’t read your mind and know what you in particular happen to like. This is a public contest open to all men, so for me to pick and choose the “types” of women I think certain guys would like, beyond the basics of age and general cuteness, would defeat the entire point of the contest. We have to start from a baseline somewhere.
If I win, could you use a fake name for me instead of my real one when you announce me?
Sure. I will announce you in any way you like. Real name, fake name, whatever you want.
The judges will have many opinions and comments besides just ranking things one to ten. Could you let us know what exactly they say about our submissions?
As I said above, I might do this in a very general way. I think that would be fun and educational. But do not expect an actual profile critique here. The judges are under no obligation to do anything with your profile other than report back a simple 1-to-10 number. Even if they do comment, I’m not going to plaster everything they say all over this blog; that would get very cumbersome. Regardless I would be happy to include various quotes from judges’ critiques if they’re valuable or entertaining enough. Some of our lovely judges are real smartasses, which is great, so I’m sure we’ll get some good stuff. They are also free to comment on this blog post if they choose. Should be very interesting!
If you have any questions regarding the contest, place them in the comments on this post or email me here. Either way, please keep your questions very short and to-the-point. I will answer any and all questions to the best of my ability as time allows. I will not be answering personal questions about our lovely judges, so don’t even bother with those and please be respectful.
Have fun writing your winning profile, and good luck!