Over the next few weeks I will be making several improvements to the look and feel of this blog. Nothing major, just some additions and changes based on some feedback I’ve received from many of you over the last year or so.
Please let me know in the comments (or contact me directly) how you would change this blog to make it a better reading experience for you.
Below is a list of changes I’m going to be implementing, but I’m more than happy to make additional changes as well.
1. Adding a more friendly commenting system, likely Disqus.
2. Adding a “5 Most Recent Comments” sidebar item, displaying the last five comments anywhere on the blog, so it will be easier to keep up with discussions in older blog posts.
3. Ensuring that a clean, white background appears on this blog on all common browsers (Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and iPhone/Android). We’ve had some trouble with this in the past. As you’re reading this blog right this second, this blog’s colors should look like this:
If this blog does not have those exact colors, PLEASE let me know, and tell me exactly what browser software you’re using and its version so I can get this fixed.
4. Addressing a few minor font problems.
5. Re-arranging some of the stuff on the sidebar and top of the blog based on some feedback to make things more clear. As just one example, I get tons of guys emailing me asking if I do coaching. Of course I do, but I’m always bewildered because if you click the Resources tab at the top of this blog (which is the leftmost menu item for the easiest viewing and clicking) I describe all my coaching stuff there, but apparently this is confusing. Going to fix stuff like this.
6. Duplicate any improvements I make here to the Caleb Jones Blog and the Sublime Your Time business blog. The BD blog gets the most traffic of the three, SYT just behind it, but the CJ blog is my fastest-growing blog (mostly because of the recent book). I need to make sure what works here also works at the other two blogs.
The new comments system is the biggest thing. I think that will really improve things. Regardless, if you have any opinions on how I should change the structure or look of this blog, now’s the time. Let me know.
Edit / Update – Wednesday, April 8th, 4:57pm PST
Below are a list of current changes I’m going to implement, based on what all of you in the comments and email have been saying so far.
1. Let people read entire posts via RSS instead of just half a paragraph.
2. Remove the Resource menu item at the top and replace it with more clearly named menu items (Ebooks, Coaching, Podcasts, etc).
3. Remove the “New Here” block on the right sidebar.
4. Add a link to the chronological Archive to right sidebar.
5. Move the search item to near-top of the right sidebar
6. Allow user editing of comments (there will be a time limit on this though, probably about 10 minutes).
7. Add easy-to-use formatting tools for comment editing.
8. Make blog easier to read on mobile devices.
9. Make blog more responsive on mobile devices.
You may also notice the font of this blog has changed. I’m going to continue to tweak this for maximum readability over the next few days.